Douglas M Heagren, CFP®, CRPC®, APMA(SM)
Founding Partner, CFP®, Retirement Plan Consultant
Douglas Heagren has been an Investment Advisor Representative since 2006. In 2011, he joined LPL Financial in order to have the flexibility to advise clients with independence from the demands and biases of captive financial advice services companies.
Douglas’s practice is based on a desire to provide education to clients and to help business owners, employees and professionals define present and future goals, exert control over cash flow, mitigate taxes, build and preserve wealth efficiently and aim to achieve financial independence. The education and advice that Douglas brings to financial planning with clients goes beyond the solely academic understanding possessed and shared by many in the financial industry, using real-world experience in order to better understand client challenges, goals and the emotions that can impact decision-making and communications.
Douglas lost his father suddenly and unexpectedly in 2000. Over the next five years while the estate was in probate, Douglas directly faced many challenges as executor, including: probate fees, estate taxes, attorney fees, business continuity and business and estate debts. This resulted in a heavy emotional and financial toll on family members and business. However, this also provided extensive real-life education on many estate and financial details and through this experience it became a personal mission to help others avoid similar challenges through adequate personal and business financial and estate planning. Douglas is uniquely positioned in sharing these personal experiences to understand the potential impact of gaps in proper planning, and the emotional and financial challenges that families face when going through the estate settlement process. Because of this, Douglas offers unique perspective and educates clients proactively to enhance their financial and estate planning while understanding the emotional and financial challenges they may be faced with during these complex times.
In addition to understanding the necessity of estate planning in financial wellness, Douglas helps clients in all stages of their wealth building and also specializes in focusing on retirement income and wealth distribution. Douglas hands-on experience aligns well with financial planning for other owners of closely-held businesses and he consults on retirement plans, benefits, accumulation of wealth and liquidity within and outside businesses, insurance protection and legacy planning. By working closely with business owners, Douglas can also provide education and guidance to employees with a goal to optimize their financial achievement, both within and outside of their employer-sponsored retirement plans.
When not working closely with clients, Douglas spends time with his wife, Dawn, and two children, Katherine and Oliver. Douglas has a Single-Engine, Fixed Wing pilot certification and enjoys taking to the skies, fishing, hunting, playing tennis, golf and broomball and cheering on Ohio State Buckeyes sports.
Education, Registrations & Licenses:
- Bachelor of Arts, Economics, Denison University, 1997
- Series 7 (General Securities Representative, registration held with LPL Financial)
- Series 66 (Uniform State Securities Law Exam / Uniform Investment Law Exam, registration held with LPL Financial and Kaliver Wealth Management)
- Group 1 (State Life, Health, Disability, and Long Term Care Insurance)
Designations & Credentials:
- Certified Financial Planner™
- Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor™
- Accredited Portfolio Management Advisor™
- Registered Representative of LPL Financial.
- Investment Advisor Representative of Mergent Group, Registered Investment Advisor.
Associations and Awards:
- Awarded as a 2009-2011 Five Star Wealth Manager award for "Best in Client Satisfaction", and the 2012-2014 and 2016 Five Star Wealth Manager award, as seen in 5280 Magazine, Minnesota Monthly, and MSP Magazines*
- Financial Planning Association of MN
- Twin Cities Estate Planning Council
- Minneapolis Rotary Club
- Colorado Fund for People with Disabilities
- Airline Owners and Pilots Association (Lifetime Member)
- American Homebrewing Association
- United States Tennis Association
*2012-2016 awards based on 10 objective criteria associated with providing quality services to clients such as credentials, experience, and assets under management among other factors. Prior to 2012, award was based on client satisfaction. Respondents evaluated criteria such as customer service, expertise, value for fee charge and overall satisfaction. The overall score is based on an average of all respondents and may not be representative of any one client's experience.